Wednesday, 6 June 2012

Breakfast. We've always been told how important it is. That we should always make an effort to eat it. I'm sure my husband can testify the impact a breakfast meal has had on him. He is a diabetic and for the longest time wouldn't have his first meal until 10 or 11 in the morning, after starting work at least 4 hours prior. But, he starting getting some food in his system first thing and his energy levels went up, his insulin became more effective and he was just generally more pleasant. So, apparently, it works.

I love breakfast. It is, hands down, my most favourite meal to eat and prepare. There is just so much you can do when getting ready for that meal. The only downside, as with anything, is time. This morning I got to sleep in. I got to take my time and prepare myself a meal. Looked a little something like this...


Please take note of my smaller plate and bowl...seriously, that piece of toast looks HUGE! Had some scrambled eggs (1 whole egg, and an additional egg white), throw in some veggies (sauteed in water!), garlic, pepper, basil, oregano and parsley. Throw it on a piece of 12 grain bread, a side of fresh raspberries and a cup of coffee, sweetened with honey. It was D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S! AND! It felt great to make it. The smell of the cooking onions, the hint of herb wafting throughout the house, the tang of the raspberry. This is what I'm talking about people!! I felt good making it and I felt good eating it. I didn't follow a recipe, I just went with what I liked. I heard somewhere, that If you like certain flavours why not try combining them. If they are good apart, chances are they will be good together!

Sure, I played it safe, went with foods and flavours anyone would be comfortable with, but I made it my own. Everyone has to start somewhere. We've all heard of K.I.S.S right? Keep it simple, stupid. I think, when it comes to food, and my journey to understand it, this couldn't be more true. There is no reason this needs to be complicated.  I'll keep my approach to food similar to my approach to clothes...If I don't understand it, I'm probably not going to buy it. I'm going to start with a foundation, and accessorize, expanding my horizons bit by bit as I go.

But what am I going to do if I don't get to sleep in? I have to be at work at 5am tomorrow. That doesn't leave a ton of time to get up and make myself some pancakes. I struggle with this every morning. I just don't have the drive to get up extra early. Hell, I often shower the night before so I can get that extra bit of sleep. Getting up even earlier for breakfast is not my idea of a good time. Not when I have to be at work at 7:30. Sleep is part of a healthy lifestyle too, right?! So, this is my challenge for myself. Find some breakfast solutions. EXCITING breakfast solutions. I'm tired of packing oatmeal every morning, and dry cereal just isn't making the cut for me anymore. So, I'm off to explore, try new things. Make a plan and be successful.

I'm putting out a call to you too...tell me what's working for you. What do you do to get started in the morning? Let's share our stories! The successes, the failures, the laughter, the tears. Why? Well because..





Thanks guys!

-M

3 comments:

  1. Hi Maren! This is Mel from Westside. So proud of you. Check out this blog, she has a recent post on breakfast.

    Best of luck!

    http://www.the-new-healthy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a really good bran muffin recipe if you like bran muffins. These are no ordinary bran muffins. These are moist, naturally butteryish tasting yummies. I have tweeked the recipe so they are like power muffins - ultra good for you. I find having baked muffins around are a handy quick breakfast option. They are even better when warmed up in the microwave for like 10 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie! I would love to try your muffins! Hook me up!

      Delete