So, I woke up the other morning, sleepily stumbled into the bathroom, started my morning routine, looked down...BAM! There was that stupid scale. Covered in dust, taunting me. So, I sidled up to it, thinking to myself "It's just a number! You're starting something, you didn't need a scale to get you there. This number is going to be nothing but an affirmation of your progress. It'll be FINE!" So, as my bare feet came down on it's dusty glass, I held my breath. I waited while it flashed at me, tried not to move, sucked my tummy in and finally....my number flashed. Well, I'm not going to tell you what it was, but I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't great, but I've seen worse.
I'm not going to let that number hold any power over me. I am no longer going to let it make me feel guilty or sad. I'm not going to let it loom over me or allow me to beat myself up over what it could mean. I'm using it only as a measure of where I've come from. The part that is really going to matter to me is how I feel. My energy levels, how my clothes fit, and how I hold myself are going to be the real markers of my progress. Not some number.
I think we, too easily, fall into a pattern of letting that number trap us. I'm not saying that it's okay that we let our weight balloon and it doesn't matter as long as we feel good. But I'm saying there is nothing wrong with weighing a little more and being healthy and HAPPY! It's not impossible. For me I'm working on the healthy thing. If you've spent any time with me recently you'll know that I'm a pretty happy person so that's not a problem.
So, how is my battle going?? I know you're dying to know! It's been great!! Just this morning, I made myself something extra delicious for breakfast. 1 Cup Pancakes, Tropical Yogurt, and Mango - I got the recipe from Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution book. SUPER easy!
Your mouth is watering right?! So here's the recipe (it serves about 4)
For the Flavoured Yogurt:
2 Ripe Bananas
a handful of unsweetened shredded coconut (I used sweetened because that's what I had)
1 Cup of Natural Yogurt
Mix it all together - put it to the side
For the Pancakes:
1 Egg
1 cup flour
1 cup of milk
1 tsp. Baking Powder
sea salt
2 mangoes (sliced)
2 tablespoons butter - I used coconut oil here and it was a great alternative
Lime
Mix the egg, flour, milk, baking powder and salt together until smooth. Heat your pan to medium, slap on the butter, let it melt, bake up some delicious pancakes, top with yogurt and mangoes, spritz with lime if you want and TA DA! Fabulous!
This recipe is going to be super easy to adjust and make your own, change out fruits and flavours to your hearts content. This is the kind of foundation food I'm talking about! And the serving size is great - I went with two small pancakes rather than 1 big one, sticking with the whole perspective thing, put on about 1/4 yogurt and lots of mango. Slapped it all on a smaller plate and called it done!
I am ready to start my day! I am ready to climb a mountain and I am ready...to paint the ceiling. Balls.
-M
No comments:
Post a Comment